As discussed in Understanding Cannabis Strains: Sativas, cannabis is not a one-size-fits-all product. Because of breeding and crossbreeding experimentations over the last few decades, there are many different variations available today. As knowledge of the plant continues to increase with legalization and accredited research projects, consumers are learning how to approach the different plant profiles to achieve specific results.
Insomnia Killing Indica
While sativas generally have a more energizing effect, indica strains fall on the opposite end of the spectrum, creating an effect of sedation and often times relaxation. Cannabis advisors will often encourage consumers to remember the difference with this phrase:
In-di-ca means In Da Couch – because that’s likely where you’ll end up
Indica strains create the “stoned” effect common to cannabis. However, the sedating, relaxing, and pain-relieving qualities of these strains make them highly sought after in the medical cannabis community.
Indicas are more commonly used in the evening, as the sedative qualities of the plant often cause drowsiness. Many consumers look to indica strains to help combat a myriad of sleep disorders and nighttime pain issues. Many indica strains are often high in CBN, a cannabinoid with powerful sedative ability, as well as Linalool, a terpene which gives lavender its aroma and relaxing reputation.
By crossing an indica strain with a sativa strain, growers manipulate the effects of the strain by altering the cannabinoid and terpene profiles. By creating a hybrid strain, growers can create specific combinations of these compounds to make a “best of both worlds” scenario. Powerful, pain and inflammation relieving properties combined with the higher energy of sativa to balance the sedative nature of the plant can provide a potent daytime remedy. Meanwhile, the calming aspects of the indica strain can help to mitigate the anxiety-triggering effects of a dominant sativa.
Whether your goal is a great night of long-overdue and healing sleep, or you just want to take the edge off after a grueling day at the office, Autumn Brands has a wide variety of Indica-Dominant strains to choose from:
- Banana Split – For a strain that tastes as good as it sounds, look no further. A relaxing body effect is followed by a warm wave of sedation to help consumers drift off to dreamland.
- Blue Zkittlez – Deeply relaxing, moderately sedative, Blue Zkittlez is ideal for those looking to shrug off stress, anxiety, and pain. Grab some snacks as this strain will likely leave you hungry.
- Blueberry Cookies – With the flavor of roasted nuts and blueberries, this strain won’t keep you stuck to the couch but will instead provide a creative flow to go along with its relaxing, tension-free body buzz.
- Blue Diesel – This strain is only mildly indica-dominant which may make it more suited for daytime. Those wanting to avoid the munchies may like this strain, as it rarely increases appetite.
- Blue Headband – The aroma is incredibly skunky, but with a sharp hint of lemon and a tinge of fruitiness. Many use Blue Headband for treating conditions such as chronic stress or anxiety, mood swings, depression, fatigue, and nausea.
- GrandDaddy Purple – Complex grape and berry aroma with an oversized, compact bud structure. GDP delivers a fusion of cerebral euphoria and physical relaxation. Like most heavy indica varieties, GDP is used for pain, stress, insomnia, appetite loss, and muscle spasms.
- Kirkwood – A variation of OG Kush named after a ski resort in Tahoe, Kirkwood has a wonderful, lemony scent. This strain starts with a slight cerebral effect before drifting into heavy-hitting indica sedation. Often chosen for migraines, sleep, and depression.
- Mango Kush – A fruity, tropical flavor highlights this strain. As a cross between two indica strains, this strain provides powerful body relaxation with an uplifted mood which may leave you with a case of the giggles.
- Mendo Breath – A hard-to-find indica-dominant hybrid strain with a sweet vanilla caramel candy flavor and a fresh earthy aroma to match. Mendo Breath is known for treating conditions such as chronic pain, inflammation, muscle spasms or cramps, and chronic stress.
- Purple Punch – A cross between two indica dominant hybrids, Purple Punch smells like a sweet candy treat from childhood which mellows the mind and body, helping with nausea and body aches.
- Royal Orange – With a taste reminiscent of an orange soda, this indica hybrid is said to have a powerful effect on the spine, resonating in the neck and back before spreading to the rest of the body.
- Strawberry-Banana – Although this is an indica-leaning hybrid, this strain provides an uplifted, yet relaxed effect to chase off stress and depression with ease.
Find the strain that is right for you on our Weedmaps page.